ÂThe Phillipsburg School District is in constant pursuit of educational excellence. We are located in Phillipsburg, New Jersey, a small town of approximately 16,000 residents, in the beautiful rolling hills of the southwestern part of Warren County on the Delaware River. It is the largest town in this agricultural section of New Jersey. An ideal place to live, we are 75 miles west of New York City and 75 miles north of Philadelphia. The town, which is just 3.2 square miles, is made up of a diverse citizenry. The community at large is actively involved in our school system. Business leaders, social service agencies, parents, community service organizations, and volunteers partner with us in a variety of initiatives.
ÂThe district, which is over 100 years old, serves 3,600 students. We are small enough to provide a warm, friendly, personalized system, yet large enough to offer an array of services from our Gifted and Talented Program to Title I Remedial Reading and Special Education for classified youth. The goal of the Office of Special Services is for classified youth to be educated within the context of the regular education program when appropriate, with an emphasis on early intervention. This focus of providing assistance and support services in the regular classroom provides the least restrictive environment possible for the student. Careful planning involves staff, students, and parents. All six schools in the district are accredited under the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
ÂAt the secondary level, our district serves not only students from the Phillipsburg town which makes up 48% of the high school population, but also students from the surrounding townships of Alpha, Bloomsbury, Greenwich, Lopatcong and Pohatcong, making up the other 52%. Our Board of Education is made up of nine members from Phillipsburg serving three-year terms and three members from the sending districts.
ÂA budget of $49.6 million supports an early childhood program, four elementary schools, a middle school, one high school, and an alternative secondary school. The Pre-school program operates out of Shimer School and with six private day-care providers. The full-day Kindergarten program operates from the new Early Childhood Center. The School Based Youth Services Program is also housed at the Armory. District Administrative Offices and the Offices of Special Services are located in The Commerce Center on Marshall Street. An in-house technology lab and conference rooms are provided for on-going staff development. Our district is growing substantially, and as a result has had an AD-HOC Committee develop a five-year facilities plan in 1999 to address our building needs. The New Jersey School Construction Corporation owns land to build a new high school.
Â Busing is provided for approximately 1,100 Phillipsburg students and 650 students from the sending districts. Elementary students who live more than two miles from school are bused, and at the high school level more than 2.5 miles.
Under Abbott regulations, each school is required to establish a School Leadership Council (SLC) made up of the Principal, teachers, staff, parents, grandparents or guardians, and the community to develop a culture of cooperation, accountability and commitment, all with a focus on improving student achievement. The SLC assists in the development of the school three-year operational plan and annual budget, with a primary responsibility being to assist in the effective delivery of instruction.
ÂThe School Board election will be held on April 27, 2011 and the polls will be open from 2:00-9:00 p.m.Â For additional information visit the Board of Education website The Phillipsburg School District.
See this website under Town Clerk/Elections for Polling Place locations.
School Board Election